There are a huge number of aspirants who dream of pursuing higher studies in foreign countries such as UK, USA, Canada, Australia and others. Now, if the aspirants are from a non-native English speaking country requires to give an English language exam for getting admission to the foreign universities. IELTS or International English Language Testing System is one such exam which accepted in the above mentioned countries along with a number of others as well for getting admission to the foreign universities or institutions located in the native English speaking countries. Thus, it becomes quite important for the aspirants to crack the IELTS exam for seeking admission to the foreign universities where English is main communication language. So, to make it easier for the candidates, here we have listed a few important tips to crack IELTS that are as mentioned below.
Table Of Contents
- 1) Things to remember while preparing for IELTS
- 2) Study plan to crack IELTS exam
- 3) Some more tips to crack IELTS exam with band 9
- 4) Role Of Lizz Academy
1) Things to remember while preparing for IELTS
- Complete Understanding of the Format of the Test – It is of immense importance to have a clear and complete understanding of the test format which is basically the most important tip to crack almost all examinations. The IELTS exam assesses the candidates on four different parameters that are reading, writing, listening and speaking. Thus, the candidates should have a detailed idea of the format of the test so that it becomes easier to crack the same. Any of the candidates planning to crack IELTS needs to prove their proficiency in all the four sections in a time period of 2 hours and 45 minutes. The time allotted for the sections for listening, reading, writing and speaking is 30 minutes, 60 minutes, 60 minutes and 11 to 14 minutes respectively. The listening, reading and writing sections are completed on the same day but the speaking sections will be conducted a week after or before after the tests of three other sections.
- Practice Makes a Man Perfect – Practice is certainly the key to success in any of the examinations. To crack the IELTS examination in the first go, it is extremely important to practice on a regular basis. It is extremely important to develop language skills of all the four modules. These essential skills can be enhanced by following a regular study plan. Now, at the time when a regular study plan is followed, cracking of the examination becomes easier which is exactly what should be done by the aspirants in order to crack IELTS.
- Developing Test Taking Skills – The test taking skills are indispensable for excellent scores in the IELTS examination. For the improvement of the listening skills, it is quite important for the candidate to be patient and clearly understand each of the words that are being spoken. For the improvement of the reading skills, the candidates can read loud for the improvisation of the pronunciation. Simply practice writing by creating essays on various topics so that you develop a fluency on writing without having to stop frequently since every moment is precious. To improve your speaking skills, you can practice by speaking in front of the mirror. Fluency does not come in a day and hence constant practice is essential in this regard. A comprehensive skill development practice on your own would always be good enough to get the required scores in IELTS.
- Avoid Writing Too Much – At the time of preparation for the writing test, it is to be kept in mind that too much writing is to be avoided. Time management is crucial part for cracking IELTS and each of the aspirants should always remember that finishing on time is essential. For instance, writing an essay of 300 words is better that a 400 words’ essay with similar lines, repetitive ideas and mis constructed sentences.
- Proper Guidance – Proper guidance is one of the most vital parts of cracking the IELTS examination. It is true that IELTS examination is not a very easy one to crack. Thus, the development of proper skills of all the four different modules so tested in the examination along with the appropriate test taking skills as well. However, guidance from the experienced and trained tutors would always help you to properly recognise your potential as well as boost your confidence before you attempt such life changing examinations.
- Don’t leave any question – IELTS is a test all about assessing your language skills. The examiner wants you to speak during the speaking test and write when checking your writing skills. If you give them a silence or blank spaces, they will be unable to evaluate whether you are eligible to clear the test or not. So, leaving/ skipping any question is not helpful for the examiner or you. The same rule applies to the listening and reading tests. If you leave any questions, they will be marked as incorrect.
- Don’t stress yourself – It is natural to feel under pressure when taking the IELTS test. However, it is important to remember that no one performs well under too much pressure. Experts’ advice to keep your nerves under control to unleash your true potential. You can perform some breathing exercises before the test starts. Also, eating healthy and sleeping well a night before the test proves helpful. H however, the key to a stress-free exam experience lies with the right planning and preparations for the test ahead of time.
2) Study plan to crack IELTS exam
- Give at least 1-2 hours daily for self-study – A consistent approach towards IELTS preparationis the key to success. You must dedicatedly study for your IELTS exam a minimum of 2-3 hours daily. This should be your self-study time which does not include the coaching you receive from the experts.
- Give enough time to each section – Each section of the IELTS test has its weightage. If you want to know How to crack the IELTS exam, you must first understand each section and then prepare for each one of them individually.
- Read English newspapers, watch English TV shows, etc. – Practice is your way to get a great hold on the language. Indulging yourself in English literature or watching English TV soaps & movies can prove very helpful in enhancing your vocabulary and understanding of the language.
- Spend more time in sections where you lack – Devote more time and effort to sections that you are weak in. for the reading section, make sure you go over passages and attempt the related questions. If you are having trouble with the accent, practice by listening to different audio clips. Similarly, work on the writing and speaking part if you are having trouble.
- Practice a lot – If you don’t practice, you don’t deserve to win! The more you practice the better you can show your English language skills and knowledge in the IELTS test.
- Evaluate yourself – Mock tests are the best way to test yourself. You can buy books with mock IELTS test papers and attempt them to rectify your shortcomings and ensure your success in the exam.
- Follow the study plan tightly – Make a study plan and stick to it. Make sure you work on all the sections equally and practice them on regular basis.
Get a free downloadable practice test here and test your knowledge.
3) Some more tips to crack IELTS exam with band 9
9 Band is the highest score in the IELTS exam. As per the British Council, if you score 9 bands in your IELTS exam, you are an expert in the English language. As an expert, you are offered more weightage and can apply for better work and study opportunities in countries that accept IELTS. Achieving 9 bands in the IELTS exam should be the only aim of aspirants who are seeking admissions in universities or want to get a job in Canada, the UK, Australia, etc. If you want to know how to crack the IELTS exam with band 9, here are some effective tips for the aspirants:
a. Listening tips
- Be attentive – Pay attention to the core information being shared in the text. You will have to read, write and listen at the same time, so stay focused. If you fail to attempt a question, do not stick to it and move to the next question.
- Avoid mistakes – There is no room for mistakes when you are attempting IELTS. You have 30 seconds to check your answer. Make sure you check spellings, plurals, word forms, and more.
b. Writing tips
- Understand the question – Understand the question before answering. If you fail to understand ask the examiner to repeat the question. However, avoid asking over and over again.
- Give a simple and clear explanation – Writing too complicated an answer can prove troublesome for you. Use words that are natural and simple to understand.
c. Reading tips
- Improve vocabulary – The more words you know, the more fluent you will be while attending the reading segment. Add 10 words to your vocab daily, as you practice for the IELTS exam.
- Check spellings – Spelling mistakes are the worst thing that can happen to you. Check your answers for spellings before you submit them.
d. Speaking tips
- Be confident – Confidence can make the simplest of speeches more powerful. When you speak with confidence, you are more impressive and understandable.
- Don’t panic – Do not lose control over yourself. Take some deep breaths and get started with the exam.
Join Lizz Academy today and get your required score in IELTS test.
4) Role Of Lizz Academy
Sometimes, self-study is not sufficient or may get directionless, making you compromise on your international study dreams. Staking your future in one of the promising foreign countries is the last thing to happen with anyone and hence it is a smart choice to join a professional IELTS preparation course. If you are wondering How to crack the IELTS exam on the first attempt, Lizz Academy is here to help. We are a leading IELTS coaching academy where you get prepared to score 9 bands in the IELTS test and turn your abroad education dreams into reality.
The experts at Lizz Academy know exactly How to crack the IELTS exam? Lizz Academy has successfully helped 1000+ students across India in cracking IELTS with a 9 band score. We have special courses designed in a way that offers assured success to the aspirants. As a team of experts, with a wealth of experience, we are dedicated to offer the right guidance to the aspirants and make them successful in their foreign study and immigration endeavors.
Lizz Academy has made it successful for thousands of aspirants to achieve desired band score in their IELTS test. We feel pride in being a constant in hundreds of foreign study and immigration success stories.